Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Politics and the English Language


This article really interested me for several reasons.  I have always hated seeing bad grammar on websites and similar places, although I can’t seem to see it in my own writing.  I read a lot of articles on football and I can just read through briefly and find about ten mistakes of varying degree.  It is like they don’t even re-read what they have written or something. 

Abbreviations also get on my nerves really bad.  I obviously use them while texting sometimes, but sometimes I even see them in essays.  In high school, my senior class was looking at some sophomore or junior student’s papers, and the one I was reading actually had lol and other things like that in it.  I could not believe that students actually believed that this was acceptable.  I guess when you get so used to using it every day, you don’t even think about it.

Another thing that I see a lot is the incorrect use of their/there/they’re and to/two/too.  I mean this is just basic English and most people do not know it.  I want to correct it, but this would obviously make me look slightly odd, so I refrain.  I realize that Orwell is talking about slightly more complicated things than this, but this is how bad it is getting.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it sad how many people there are who cannot produce a simple writing composition? Why is it that some find the subject of English to be so difficult. I believe the reason may be because of the great amount of studying that goes into learning the mechanics of English. Yet, what people do not seem to realize is that once these concepts are learned, they will remain with you forever. One knowing their native language like the back of their hands is the most vital skill to possess. Those who know how to communicate effectively with others on paper and in person will have greater success than those who cannot.

    ReplyDelete